Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 21:00:32 +0200
Mike, the tuner was not designed for 400 Ohms and you won't see any
noticeable difference.

Once you get to the shack with your openwire, you need to run it through
some sort of a balun to the tuner, OR you can use the built-in balun, WHICH
I DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Instead, use an external 1:1 tuner "if" your primary focus is the low bands.
I prefer the ugly balun (Bob and I call it the Monster Balun), which is coax
wrapped on a huge piece of PVC pipe, with the turns of the coax separated by
1/4 inch rope.
Here you can see a picture of mine:  http://www.dj0ip.de/balun-pictures/
(It's the top balun in this picture.)
Of course you can do better, using coax wound through several toroids, but
it is bigger and bulkier.

73
Rick, DJ0IP