Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 15:21:39 -0700
On 7/12/2013 2:40 PM, Richards wrote:
On 7/12/2013 4:29 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:
To further amplify Rick's comments, an antenna that has gained
popularity in USA in recent years, is a 40 odd foot high vertical for 80
and 160m work. One of our North TX hams published his versions in two QST articles.

The "magic" (good engineering) behind the 43 ft vertical antenna is that it is not too close to a half wave, or multiple of half-waves, on the major ham bands, so the feedpoint impedance never gets TOO high, and it's long enough (roughly 3/16 wave) on 80M to load and radiate fairly well.

In contrast, Rick sold me on the notion that an 80m inverted-L with appropriate additional capacitance is better than a very short vertical with inductive loading. (Hopefully not losing too much in such a short translation...)

He is exactly right. To understand the design concepts, study my 160M antenna presentation, on my website, dividing the physical dimensions by 2.. The ON4UN book also has lots of good stuff on verticals and radial systems.

  http://k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC