Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 14:24:11 -0500
Some of us have also had good results with variations of the G5RV, using a stub of parallel llne and transitioning to Coax without a balun at that point. Varney in his original design, ran parallel line all the way to the shack. Is going to coax after the stub unbalanced?, sure. Did it work? With 60 feet of coax from the stub to the rig, it worked very well, usually without a tuner on 40 and 20. The angle of take off or efficiency seemed suspect on 15; but it accounted well for itself on favorite bands. It was necessary to have the stub come off horizontally from its junction with the feed point, since the trees holding the antenna up were not over 40 feet high at the attachment points. Thus, a 40 foot stub could not hang vertically, with the house under it.

One can be very happy with an antenna that does the bands you prefer. The flat top for my version of the G5 was a variation of the ZS6BKW design that tries to provide for WARC bands as well. About 92 feet as I recall.

The main point of discussion is it seems easiest to put up symmetric antennas to preserve balance in a dipole. If you don't feed in the center or with balanced line, you may find some issues. You then deal with them, and since I come at things from a minimalist approach, if I don't have RF in the shack from feeding a balanced system with coax, that is OK. If I had RF in the shack, I would rearrange the antenna as a system to correct that, or at least find the cause, and do something to deal with it.

The OCFD solves some very real problems for hams. One is lay of the land, where you might have difficulty center feeding a long dipole in your available space.

In a vertical dipole, one end is coupling to earth by proximity, while the upper end does it to a lesser degree. To restore symmetry there, you can make one end longer than the other, especially when making a multi band stub decoupled dipole. Making it an OCFD eases the provision of multiple bands on one vertical system.

In the end, the success of any antenna is can you match it conveniently, and does it produce contacts?

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH