Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: k6jek <k6jek@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:40:44 -0700
I found the article about the Illuminator project. It is a funny read. In 2000
he worked all continents with a TS-850S and a 150 watt bulb mounted on a four
foot post fed through a common mode choke and 9913 Flex. The VSWR at the light
bulb was 4:1. He started by using the internal tuner of the Kenwood but
switched to a tuner near the bulb.

He later tried a 1500 watt bulb which was distinctly inferior to the 150 Watt
bulb. He also built, get a load of this, a 3 bulb array selecting any two with
the WX0B stack match. That cracked me up even more than the single bulb
arrangement.

Jon

PS: We all know about transmission line transformers but sometimes we forget. I
recently put up a sloping V with each leg about a half wavelength. I fed it
with a very short piece of 450 ohm ladder line and was surprised that the
Johnson Matchbox couldn't match it. I had two expert engineers helping me in
this project. We all burst out laughing when we realized what we'd done. We
were in a hurry, just trying to get on the air. Beer may have been consumed.
Still, those guys wish to remain anonymous.