Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: "n4py3@earthlink.net" <n4py3@earthlink.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: Wade Staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:46:56 -0500
My MFJ-989C Tuner has the 1:1 Current Balun ...Of this I am sure. When
locating the balun just outside my WINDOW...we went with the same. No
problems HERE! All is working well.....

On Friday, July 12, 2013, Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net> wrote:
> You read too much into what I said.  All I was doing was giving a case
for where a 4:1 balun was better than a 1:1 balun.  I wasn't talking about
using coax.  I was talking about 600 ohm open wire line with a 4:1 balun at
the antenna end.  And I was actually talking about a 4:1 transformer that
was balanced on both ends.

> I really don't want to get into this discussion, but there are many cases
where a 4:1 transformer is less loss than a 1:1.

> Carl Moreschi N4PY
> 121 Little Bell Dr.
> Hays, NC 28635
> www.n4py.com
>
> On 7/12/2013 11:23 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
>
> Let's consider that one again, Carl.
>
> If we place a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint of the 80m antenna, then we have
> 625 Ohms "Unbalanced" at the feedpoint on 40m. the math is correct, but
> normally we would attach the coax to the bottom side of the balun, not
> openwire.  The 625 ohms is a 12:1 SWR for the coax.  So we don't want to
do
> that.  And if we are going to run openwire, then we attach it directly to
> the antenna, we don't use a balun at that point.
>
> If we attach the openwire at the antenna and run it to the shack, into a
4:1
> balun at the tuner, just what value the antenna system exhibits at that
> point will depend on the length of the feedline.  Granted it appears a 4:1
> balun would be a better match and usually it would be from an impedance
> standpoint.  However if the SWR happens to be above 3:1 or so, the 4:1
balun
> quickly loses its ability to impede common mode current and that is very
> bad.  The 1:1 current balun does not.  Again as Jim says, we should be
> calling it a choke, not a balun but old habits die hard.  So as long as
your
> matchbox is capable of matching whatever mismatch there is in the antenna
> system, it's better to use a 1:1 balun (for the sake of impeding CMC) and
> let the matchbox do the matching.
>
> The real problem is the other way around, when you attach openwire
feedline
> to a 40m dipole and attempt to match it on 80m.
> Now I know they recommend not to do this, but I've had a few QTH's where
it
> was my only way of getting on 80m.  I didn't have enough space for
anything
> else, so I ran this and worked lots of DX with it on 80. But it creates
some
> real challenges for the balun and the matchbox:
>
> In this case the impedance is likely to be less than 10 Ohms at the
> matchbox, but it also depends on the length of the feedline. Let's call it
> 12 Ohms for the sake of easy math.  The 4:1 balun at that point transforms
> it in the wrong direction, down to 3 Ohms.  ALL matchboxes have high
losses
> when trying to deal with such low impedance.  Just read any ARRL test of
any
> matchbox and check the internal loss at this impedance.  Clearly the 12
Ohms