[TenTec] OCF

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OCF
From: "leen3lpj" <leen3lpj@nep.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 20:00:05 -0400
    Back around 96 I was using an ocf half-wave fed with 450 ladder-line at 105
ft for 160 mtrs . One night I got on and there was a station from the yukon and
everyone in the group was taking turns working him . When it came my turn it
took forever to make the contact . It wasn't that far , i thought it should
have been alot easier . I took down the ocf and read alot of antenna books and
put up an inverted-l .
    There is no turning back I love my inverted-l . I never used to do
contesting but I started getting in the 160 mtr contest just to see how I could
do and the results were great .
    I'm still using that same antenna . During the jan. cw contest on 160 I
made contact with Hawaii in a small pile-up on the second call . Not bad for
100 watts and my orion .
    Going vertical for me was the way to go on 160 . The ocf worked good but I
couldn't get it up high enough to be effective on the lower bands .
                                                                       Lee
N3LPJ