Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 21:47:07 +0200
All good stuff, Stuart.

I'm a great fan of the vertical dipole and you prune it exactly as you
suggested.
I think this is one of our hobby's best kept secrets.

The OCFD is a highly misunderstood antenna.
The textbooks are very sparse on the topic and as a result, most people's
knowledge is very limited.

One of the things I have been playing with is different splits than what the
textbooks describe.
What I have observed is, the farther away from the middle of a dipole you
place the feedpoint, the worse the problem with CMC is.

What I have also found (by myself, through modeling - then building and
testing) is that by moving just 7% off of the center of the dipole, you
dramatically lower the impedance on bands which had very high impedance, but
the increase in CMC is negligible.

So when people cry "common mode current" when we speak of OCFD, they are
basing their opinion on text book examples IN WHICH CASE THEY ARE RIGHT, but
there is another, better way to do it.  I'm not saying it is the holy grail
but it is certainly a GREAT compromise.

By moving just 7% off center, you can still feed a dipole with openwire but
its second harmonic will have only a few hundred ohms rather than 2000+
ohms.  This greatly reduces the demand on the tuner.  In fact, most
transceiver's built-in tuner can match this.

Today I erected ODFD no. 13 and ran several tests.  Pleasing results.  So
far it was only tested with an analyzer.  Need to haul a transmitter up on
the hill and run more power through it, then measure the CMC.  Great
expectations for this one.  Will probably commercialize it.

73
Rick, DJ0IP