Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx
From: Darrell Bellerive <drbellerive.va7to@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 07:46:03 -0700
The other factor that I don't think has been mentioned is ground loss of the transmitted signal. For horizontal antennas, antenna height is the major factor, and for vertical antennas, radials.

The impact of ground loss on a low horizontal antenna on the 160 and 80 metre bands will be significant compared to feedline losses. A dipole at 25 to 30 feet above ground for 160 metres is only 0.05 of a wavelength high. As a horizontal antenna is lowered below 1/4 wavelength above ground, ground losses increase significantly.

Remember though that lots of hams make lots of contacts with low dipoles, and any antenna is better than no antenna. So like Bob has stated, striving to eliminate that last dB of feedline, tuner, or balun loss may be insignificant compared to other factors. We need to be mindful of our complete system of transmitter power, losses, propagation, etc. and the impact each has on our transmitted signal.

73, Darrell VA7TO

Darrell Bellerive