Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx
From: John <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 18:01:31 -0400
I hope this does not add to the confusion too much. However...

Radials really only apply to quarter-wave verticals. The reason is that the radials allow the field to act as though is is a half wave antenna, although the bottom half is virtual. A half-wave vertical only requires a ground. There is no question that at 40 meters and below, it is not easy to put up a a half-wave vertical and so, depending on how the vertical is constructed, and which bands are covered, radials may be needed to create or maintain the desired pattern. Although I have not seem this, it would seem to me that for multi-band verticals, there should be some isolation of the radials in order to maintain the desired pattern for the upper bands.

John  /  WA1JG