Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 14:21:53 -0400
Hmmm... I guess I am the odd man out... again.

I thought all these little losses are cumulative and can add up. Sorta like getting consecutive sentences, instead of running concurrently -- it is not like a 3 dB loss covers up or subsumes a 1 dB loss. (...and I know that is not exactly what you are saying ... I am only laying a foundation for my point.)

Mindful of the need to avoid Majoring in Minors, and hoping to avoid focusing on a .05 dB loss while ignoring a 4.5 dB loss... I DO worry about, and DO attempt to avoid ALL LOSSES of WHATEVER SIZE.

All antennas involve compromise, so should not become obsessed with every little loss that comes along, but so may Elmers give those little losses the brush off, and tell us to ignore them because the guy at the other end cannot tell the difference.

And yet hams are driven to contact rare DX, the weak ones, which means one may want to give those little losses a bit more attention, or they may be the difference in some cases. I guess I figure, at some point, IT DOES MATTER.

Perhaps it is analogous to the (now) old adage, coined by Sen. Dirkson, "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you're talking real money."

I consider antennas as a "system" of components starting from the SO-239 connector on the rig, all the way out to the radiator and back. I presume every connector has some insertion loss, and some types of connectors introduce an small impedance "speed bump." Consequently, I do my level best to minimize the number of connectors, adapters, switches, patch cables, etc., in the system. I also add as many ground radials to my vertical and employ 1:1 CMC chokes on my dipoles.

I agonize over all these little details, mindful not to Major in Minors and keep it in perspective. But for every 3 dBs of loss, I guess we lose another level on the S-meter, and 5-6 dB is like taking the amp off line, so I think all those little throw away dBs can eventually add up to real loss, and, at times, matter.

Knowing I cannot avoid all losses, I do not lose sleep over it, and yet, I do my level best to avoid any loss which can be avoided with reasonable investment of time and money. Without the luxury of the 20 dB GAIN provided by a large yagi or log periodic antenna on a 100 ft tower; I must eek every little bit of signal coming and going possible.

Or... am I just fooling myself and working too hard at it?

Happy trails.

On 8/3/2013 9:37 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:

 > My point, with today's receivers, in most all cases the atmospheric
noise and man made noise will mask any receiver internal noise and will
easily overtake any loss in the transmission line.