Re: [TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 21:52:19 -0700
On 10/11/2013 9:36 PM, Mike Bryce wrote:
I have a 160 meter doublet feed with 600 ohm line. 130ish feet on each side.

Please define "doublet." Do you mean a single wire dipole, or do you mean a folded dipole? How high is the antenna? How long is the feedline?

A single wire dipole has a feedpoint Z in the range of 40-80 ohms, depending on height and the nature of your ground. A "folded" dipole tends to look more like 300 ohms if it is high enough. Neither of these is a good match to 600 ohm line, so the transmission line will transform the antenna Z to some value that depends on the antenna Z and the length of the line.

You say "1:1 balun." What is it, really? Is it a common mode choke? How is it made? Is it a string of ferrite beads, or something better? Most things called 1:1 "baluns" are a string of beads wound onto 50 ohm coax.

If I had a single wire 1/2 wave 160M dipole (and I did until about a year ago), I would feed it with 75 ohm coax if it was higher than about 100 ft (mine was), and 50 ohm coax if it was lower. If I had a folded dipole, I would feed it with 300 ohm line, put a 4:1 transformer near the shack, and run either 50 ohm or 75 ohm coax to the rig. These solutions make the antenna a fairly good match to the line, so the transmission line doesn't transform the antenna to some wild value that the tuner can't match.

The only good reason I can think of for a folded dipole is slightly greater bandwidth, and we can get the same benefit from using spaced parallel conductors from the common feedpoint, which keeps the feedpoint Z in the 50-75 ohm range, which means we can (and should) use coax to feed it with a serious ferrite common mode choke at the feedpoint (up in the air).

73, Jim K9YC