Re: [TenTec] 160 M antenna

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 M antenna
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 19:00:33 -0600
Personally I typically evaluate any HF antenna that I use based on a 3:1 SWR bandwidth. That better is defined as being the frequency that produces a 3:1 SWR below the 1:1 SWR frequency and the frequency that produces a 3:1 SWR above the 1:1 SWR frequency. Using an Antenna Bridge such as the MFJ-250 will do an excellent job finding these points.

The reason I choose a 3:1 SWR value is the fact that Tentec PA circuits do not have any issues with a SWR of this value or lower. I can't say the same for other brands. And I find that any reasonable feedline, discounting open wire lines, will have negligible loss with a 3:1 SWR or less.

All please note; Jim K9YC has a very good explanation of radiation resistance, wire resistance, and ground resistance and such in his post.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Brown" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>