Re: [TenTec] What's going to be next?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>, Gary@ka1j.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What's going to be next?
From: "R. Eric Sluder - W9WLW" <resluder@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:33:29 -0500
Bob McGraw - K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.net> wrote:
>Having or having been through the "lot", today the Omni VII is the
>radio
>with the features and good performance.  Likely there are still
>enhancements
>in the pipe for the Omni VII.  I view this as very commendable for a
>company
>to continue to offer enhancements for a product that is some 6 ot 7
>years
>old but yet still in production.  It also protects ones investment in
>their
>purchase thus holding up the value.
>
>As to a performance radio, the Eagle is it.  Although sporting less
>features
>but in as smaller package, the performance both on receive and transmit
>of
>the Eagle are equal or found to excel the Omni VII.  I truly believe,
>having
>used one for some time, the Eagle has the best transmit and receive
>audio of
>any radio on the market today.  I see that hams in general are looking
>for
>lower priced radios yet seem to want a moderate to high level of
>performance.  The Eagle fills this slot.
>
>73
>Bob,  K4TAX
>

>DISCLOSURE:
>This is to inform all persons, I am a Tentec Ambassador and I receive
>compensation according to the Tentec Ambassador program.  In addition,
>serve as a volunteer beta test person to Tentec for the Omni VII, Eagle
>and Argonaut VI radios.  I hold no employment relationship, no
>financial
>interests nor do I conduct any commercial business, direct or indirect,
>with Tentec.

A slightly larger Eagle II with the added functions you would find in the Omni
VII, in a price range of $2500-2700 would be a show stopper.  That means it
would need room for a 2nd RX-366 that is optional, pan adapter feature, and
some of the regularly used functions brought out to either additional buttons
not requiring the Func button, or to knobs, or a combination therein.

I believe TT has the majority of the code ready due to the Eagle and Orion
(think code for use of 2nd receiver).  They would need to select a larger
CPU/microcontroller chip set, off load the ATU processing to a dedicated ATU
processor and map coding to a larger display (and S-Meter for DJ0IP hi hi).

Optional, and possibly driving the cost up higher than they want to, would be
to risk a re-do of the core DSP to match or even better then Orion 2
performance.  I would suggest that not be done, but save that effort for an
Omni VIII.

Just my view of things...

73-Eric
W9WLW