Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 16:56:21 -0500

On 2/27/2014 1:57 PM, Jim Vohland wrote:
  . I have wondered however, why we never see any DXexpeditions
using TenTec equipment? Comments.

A couple of reasons come to my mind.

One is size and weight. A lot of guys like smaller and lighter radios for traveling to far away locations. It costs serious folding money to ship big heavy stuff. If you compare the Orion II to the K3 you get the point in a hurry.

Another is (I believe) Elecraft has a bank of radios it either lends out or rents for cheap so they look like the rig everyone takes. They seem to pursue and promote and cater to the DX-pedition crowd. This sort of marketing, makes sense to me.

Also, there is a certain "cultural" aspect to ham radio. Hams who go on DX-peditions must look at what other guys are doing, and they certainly must talk among themselves and compare notes, and I presume there is a certain social inertia or momentum that occurs, such that a a consensus emerges as to what is the right rig to take to Bimini or Foxtail Island. There is a similar "contest culture" and a consensus emerges such that some rigs come to be viewed as "contest quality rigs" even though you can use pretty much any radio in a contest. Consider Rick's point about the Eagle... some say say it is not a "contest rig" per se, but if I understand his point correctly, if your receiver is THAT GOOD, and THAT selective, does the transmit matter all that much? If not, then having a super selective receiver defines a suitable contest rig, and as Rick says, the Eagle is JUST THAT. I mean what ELSE would it need besides a really selective receiver? Are the transmitters all that different in practice? If not, then the super easy, simple Eagle might just be the ideal contest rig... but the "contest culture" does not see it that way. Therefore, I suspect there is a social aspect to all of this. This is not necessarily a bad thing, just a factor to recognize.