Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:01:45 -0600

It doesn't work AM, but my Corsair II still has great performance. I have been having a great time working the ARRL Centennial stations with it.

Aside from its still formidable performance, it is intuitively easy to use. If I want to change bands, I turn a knob. If I want to change the speed of the keyer, I turn another knob. If I want to change the power level, that takes a turn of another knob. The only part of it that it took me a while to master is that really useful ability to tune the receiver to two different frequencies in the same band when using the external VFO. Not a menu in sight. I have noted that the Corsair II manual normally resides in the desk drawer. When I am using the Argonaut VI, the manual is on the desk and in frequent use. I suspect that the Argo VI has an even better receiver than does the Corsair II.

When I visited the factory a few years ago, Stan turned me loose in the ham shack, and I was playing with the Omni VII and the Eagle. I liked the ability to key in frequencies on the Omni VII, just like on my Argonaut II, but the Eagle seemed to be easier to use. So, when I wear out the Corsair II, I will have some tough deciding to do.

I am not sure what radios the T32C folks were using, but they managed to hear my 5 watt signal on 12 meters from the Argonaut II with my lowly trap vertical. Then came back to me, but must not have gotten my report as that contact was not on their log page. I did work them a number of times with the Corsair II and my Omni V.9.

I also really like the #217 RF Speech Clipper. That seems to help get out with both the Corsair II and the Argonaut VI.

Then, there is my 238C tuner...

73,

Steve WA9JML