[TenTec] Reasons to buy an OM7 instead of an Eagle

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Reasons to buy an OM7 instead of an Eagle
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 23:10:20 +0200
I was just asked off list for reasons to warrant spending the extra bread on
an OM7 instead of an Eagle.
Ha!  I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying "none, there aren't any!"
(hi)

There are of course 2 or 3 minor reasons and I've created my list below.
Perhaps someone else more familiar with the OM7 than I am can think of other
reasons that I have forgotten.
Grateful to any additional tips.

(and to the OM who asked me this question, if you do not subscribe to the
tentec group at contesting.com, send me another email and I will forward you
any replies we get).

Hi OM, (name withheld)

You do realize of course that you have posed that question to a man in love
with his Eagle!  (hi)
OK, but I will try and be objective on this.

The Eagle's better receiver is really only noticeable in BIG contests where
a good operator is willing to dive into the middle of the heaviest pile-up
on the band to work whatever DX multiplier is under all the rumble.  Apart
from that, there is not a lot of difference in the two receivers.  However
when the going gets tough, the Eagle will outshine the Omni 7.

I'll start with the only other negative of the OM7 over the Eagle: it has
only one knob for AF and RF gain.  Not the end of the world but separate
knobs would have been better.

And of course if you go backpacking, I'd rather carry an Eagle!  (hi)
Same applies for mobile operations.

Now here is my short list of features the OM7 has which the Eagle does not:

. A larger read out, including an S-Meter that you can actually see and read

. Better interfacing to old amplifiers (or new Ameritron amplifiers) in CW
mode.  The OM7 has adjustable hang delay on the tail end of the signal.  The
Eagle does not have this feature and if you have one of these amps, you
absolutely need it.  With the Eagle, you must purchase the Model 318 Amp
Keyer for a hundred bucks.

. Interfacing to Ten-Tec full QSK amplifiers (dual-cable keying).  The Eagle
does not have this.  If you don't have a full QSK linear with this keying
loop circuitry, it doesn't matter.

. A band scope (though it's not the greatest)

. Larger heat sink on the back side for cooling the final transistors.  You
really do not need a fan unless you are running RTTY.  The Eagle doesn't
have this so it must rely on a fan. It is not terribly loud but it is
audible.

. Direct frequency entry keypad

. Curtis mode A and B keying.  It's fixed on the Eagle, but I have no idea
which one.  Somehow I never paid any attention to that stuff.  I just key
whatever they throw at me and it somehow seems to always work.

. Two spare RCA phono plugs AND an internal provision to connect two coax
cables to these to be used as connection for a pre-selector or noise
cancelor.

. A serial port.

. Connection for the POD (the remote VFO knob).  I sometimes miss this on my
Eagle.

. 2 antenna jacks

. Ethernet connection

. AUX RX (antenna) - an input for a receive-only antenna (uses one of the
two ANT connections)

. Adjustable bandwidth on SSB

. Adjustable RX and TX equalizers

. CTCSS for FM

. Adjustable CW (keying) weighting

. SPOT (for spotting in CW) - which I personally feel is worthless

. Adjustable rise/fall time on CW.  A fancy option but I don't feel it is
necessary.  The Eagle's CW signal is just fine.

. FSK X Data (if you are into RTTY)

. VFO Speed Shift which basically speeds up the tuning rate by a factor of 4
when you turn the VFO knob real fast.  Many people like this feature a lot.

. A very comfortable software menu (probably the very best in the industry)

. OmniRig support (very important for many 3rd party software programs)

. A dedicated RIT/XIT knob (using the RIT on the Eagle is very clumsy)

. And of course REMOTE CONTROL (over the Internet)

That's all that comes to mind right now, but keep in mind that I do not own
an OM7 and the last time I even saw or used one was in 2007.  That was 7
years ago. and my old grey cells "ain't what they used to be".

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)