Re: [TenTec] Reasons to buy an OM7 instead of an Eagle

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Reasons to buy an OM7 instead of an Eagle
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:29:46 +0200
Bob,

That was good stuff.
If I find the time, I will try to merge both our lists into one.
I just now noticed, the OM7 announced in 2004, not 2007, so it has been 10
years since I have used or even seen an OM7.

I would like to say a few words about receiver performance now, showing ON
THE AIR TESTS made on the OM7.

Rob Sherwood's list shows measured lab numbers and Rob shares with us his
opinion of what is required by most people in order to have a good enough
receiver.  What few people have picked up on is that he has raised the
numbers by 5%. He is now saying 75dB BDR3 for SSB and 85dB for CW.  This is
slightly higher than what the OM7 can achieve (on CW) but lower than the
Eagle.

NEVER-THE-LESS, those are just numbers, meaningless to most of us hams.
So what real world difference does it make?

Perhaps I am the only person who ever tested and 'documented' this in a real
world environment that showed a distinct difference.  In reality, 99.9% of
us will never have that environment AND that specific environment can no
longer be reproduced.
However, I do want to point out that at that time, there was indeed a very
distinct advantage in favor of the radio with the highest BDR3.

In 2004, a couple of weeks before the OMNI VII announced, I conducted a
transceiver test (I think I called it "intermod shootout") at one of our
contest sites.  The test was conducted on 40m on a Friday evening, but no
big contest was running.  However this was BEFORE the shortwave broadcast
stations had moved outside of the ham band, so the total amount of voltage
hitting a receiver's front end (here in Europe) was tremendous!  Tremendous
because I was using a 3 element 40m Yagi at 105 ft. height.  This
environment can never be repeated because the broadcast stations are gone
now.

In addition, rotating the beam made a big difference in the amount of
intermodulation generated by the receivers and the direction
North/North-East was the worst.  I left the beam in that direction, then
compared several transceivers.
At that time, the "Meister" was the Orion (1).  There was no Eagle or O2
yet.

The (sometimes significant) difference between all 7 transceivers tested was
recorded in a video (for each radio) showing the S-Meter and recording the
accompanying sound.  You can see and hear the difference in these videos.
These results have been posted on the Bavarian Contest Club web site for
more than 10 years now.

Lots of people speculate about all kinds of things including receiver
performance and Ten-Tec going out of business.
I haven't figured out a way to benchmark TT going out of business, but I do
know how to test receivers in a real world environment, and when I test
stuff, I post it to the Internet for everyone to see and hear.

In today's environment, the only way to approximate this type of challenging
band condx is to operate in the middle of a very BIG contest, such as CQWW
DX contest, especially in CW!  AND, as I stated earlier, when operating,
don't skip over the messy pile-ups, jump in and work the station on that
frequency.  THAT'S WHERE THE DIFFERENCE IS!

I've posted this link several times before but I'll post it again.
Here's the LINK:
http://www.bavarian-contest-club.de/reviews/Transceiver-intermod-shootout-on
-40M-in-europe-;art32,565
Look under "RESULTS" to find clickable links to the video files.

(NOTE: most likely the link will be broken by the reflector.  Copy it -both
lines of it, together- and paste it into your browser).

Two comments:  first, I am indeed the world's worst photographer, which is
evident from these videos, but the message does come through.  Second, in
the excitement, I sometimes unknowingly switched to speaking German instead
of English.  That's because the station owner who is German was testing with
me and he was commenting to me in German, causing my brain to switch from
7-bit to 8-bit ASCII.  I guess there was a sticky bit! (hi)

THE BOTTOM LINE:
Receiver performance is a highly misunderstood subject, partly because we
each have our own definition of what our needs are.  It is impossible to
make a list ranking true receiver performance and reflect the true
performance of each radio. Rob is the first person to tell us that in all of
his presentations.  He tells us of the many other important things, first
and foremost, "you have to enjoy using the radio".  THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT
THAN ANY LIST, and the only person on the planet that can determine that is
YOU.

Rob's list shows the radios ranked by BDR3, nothing more.
It may be used as one of many selection criterion but it certainly is not
the most decisive one.

The biggest difference between the Eagle and the OM7 is in the ergonomics of
the radios.
How you use them and navigate the menus is VERY different.
Many people will not like the Eagle.  I love it.
Some may not like the OM7 because it doesn't have separate AF/RF gain
controls and because it's Panadaptor is not very good.  Other than that, my
guess is that most people will be more comfortable operating to OM7.

But if you are a serious contester, take the Eagle (unless you absolutely
need OmniRig support).

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)