Re: [TenTec] Come On Guys

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Come On Guys
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 18:30:21 -0700
Pretty simple. First, about the cars. American cars had mostly become pretty mediocre by the end of the 50s -- they looked fancy, but didn't hold up very well. During the '60s, the Japanese companies came in with far better quality, and the smarter American buyers figured that out. Over several decades, the US mfrs figured that out and have been getting better. But in the meantime, EU, JA, and HL companies have made big dents in the market, and US mfrs are still playing catchup. The last US-made cars I owned were Dodge Darts and a '78 Chevy wagon. Since then, my wife and I have owned (and liked) Honda, Saab, Volvo, and Toyota.

As to ham gear -- some Americans claim to be patriotic, but cheaper nearly always overrides better, and if rigs built in BA or JA are cheaper, American hams will buy them. Fast forward to 2014 -- I see a lot of "shack on the belt" hams walking around with Chinese VHF FM gear that they bought for < $100. Some Americans TALK patriotism, but damn few of us put our money where our mouths are.

Some of us are open minded, and try to get both quality and the best bang for my buck. I bought a Ten Tec Omni A around 1980, when it was both quality and moderate in cost. I'm still using Ten Tec Titan 425s. I couldn't afford them when they were new, but I've bought three used for less than the cost of an Alpha. Since getting back on the air in 2003, I've owned and used Ten Tec (an Omni V+), Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, and Elecraft HF transceivers. The Elecraft K3 is so good they've replaced all the others. I'm still using Kenwood VHF/UHF FM rigs in shack, mobile, and talkie.

73, Jim K9YC