Re: [TenTec] Corsair-II Alternative

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair-II Alternative
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 09:36:07 -0800
On Sat,11/26/2016 1:28 AM, rick@dj0ip.de wrote:
Dave, that was exactly my experience with the K3.
I left the manual on the desk all the time because I always had to look
something up.

Funny -- I find the K3 user interface totally logical and easy to use. Once I RTFM through once and studied it for details, I only needed to use it to look up configuration changes or new features. Like how to use a headphone and mic at the rear panel, how to turn bias on for an electret, how to assign a built-in function like "speaker on with headphones" to a front panel button.

Once you have configured the radio for the way you bought it and for the way you want to use it and the accessories you want to use with it, everything you need for day to day operation is on the front panel, and all the functions of all the buttons and knobs are labeled on the panel.

Which brings up the question, who in the heck asked for a tiny radio?
I sure did not.

I'm THRILLED with the fact that the K3 is small -- it doesn't fill up my operating desk, and parts that could, like the P3 display, fits nicely on top of the radio. That allowed me to fit two rigs into limited space and make both easy to reach for SO2R contesting. And to make room for a third radio for VHF/UHF operating.
For home use, a big radio is easier to use.

It depends strongly on the radio. I found the FT1000MP user interface VERY unfriendly, and way too big. The last Ten Tec rig I owned was an Omni V+, and while I liked it, it was missing things I needed, and it really needed N4PY's mod.

73, Jim K9YC