Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:08:31 -0500
My question for this astute reflector is whether there is any reason multiple receivers can't be connected to the array - listening in the same or different directions. Simply by multiple layers of the same RF switch matrix with proper selection/phasing etc. Would a magic T be required from each element into the separate switch matrices?

Frank or Tom - are you already doing this? >>>>

You could split at every element, but unused splitter ports would require termination in case that element was used for another phasing hub. This could all be done at the array center, only one feeder to the element would be required. The other cables would be short, since they would all be at the hub.

My gut feeling is it would be pretty easy to build an adaptor module that would satisfy the splitting. I have not done that here, but I have considered it.

There is another phasing method that has no relay switching, but has eight directional ports. But that is too expensive and complicated.

I have done two-port sharing and independent selction for Beverage hubs, at least I have a box that allows two ports to feed any one of eight antenna ports (any port, not just unused ports). I built this box for economy of long cables. Since some antenna hubs are 2000 feet away, it would not make sense to run six or eight 2000-foot feeders from two or three hubs.

73 Tom

Topband Reflector