Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL

To: Joel Harrison <w5zn@w5zn.org>
Subject: Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL
From: Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 02:41:19 -0500
The "W8JI small verticals" that everyone has copied for this are naturally
resonant on the 75/80 meter band as an aside.   There is plenty of gain on
160 and well more than enough on 80 as RDF and not forward gain is the goal
for the array.  In the paper Joel and I did,  we have both calculated and
measured results for these antennas.   Joel's first month results were also
indicative as he worked several new countries the first week of operation,
audible on the 8 circle and not on any previous antennas (beverage,
transmit, etc).  If you want to think of it as analogous to a 1/4 wave
vertical, look at it this way.  4 elements are active at any one time.  In
our version these are 25 foot verticals and 4 of them are active so that is
"a 100 feet of vertical" where as a 1/4 wave vertical is smaller capture
area than that with on the order of 67 feet of vertical contributing to
capture area.  MORE than enough gain on 80 meters!

Bob
HY

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Joel Harrison <w5zn@w5zn.org> wrote:

> I do have an 80 meter version in addition to the 160 array and can report
> there is plenty of "reserve" signal on 80 as well even after 600 ft of
> feedline and splitting the signal to two receivers.
>
> 73 Joel W5ZN
>
> --
Bob McGwier
Owner and Technical Director, Allied Communication, LLC
Facebook: N4HYBob
ARS: N4HY
Faculty Advisor Virginia Tech Amateur Radio Assn. (K4KDJ)
Topband Reflector