[TowerTalk] Driving Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Driving Ground Rods
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:00:02 -0700

Mike,

There are several methods to use depending on the nature of the
earth you are driving them into.  Soft humus or reasonably soft
homogeneous clay, by all means use a hammer or T-post driver.

If you can use a hammer, go down to ACE and get yourself a 1.5 to
3 pound "dead blow" or "drilling" hammer.  Ground rods seem to
run away from the dead blow hammers even when they stand up and
take it from a similar sized ordinary solid sledge hammer.  The
hammer face is shaped to help deliver the energy more efficiently
too (fewer glancing blows).  Don't ask me how they work.  But
they are MUCH easier to use.

The T-post driver is convenient because it "can't miss" and it
automatically keeps the blow in alignment with the rod.

My own personal preference is the dead blow hammer.

73, Eric  N7CL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>