[TowerTalk] Driving Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Driving Ground Rods
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:56:09 -0400
>What is the best way to drive in my 8 ft. ground rods?  A big hammer?

I did my 12 8-ft. rods with a hand sledge. It made my arm sore, but it
worked. If you plan on doing several rods, or expect to do more in the
future, a ground rod sleeve is a good investment at about $15. It's a short
metal tube sealed off at one end with an I.D. that matches the ground rod.
You slip it over the top of the rod and pound on the top of the sleeve. This
reduces the number of missed or glancing blows (which can be painful) and
keeps the top of the rod from flattening. This is required if you plan on
Cadwelding the ground leads to the rods (IMHO, by far the best way to do
it), or if you will be using an acorn clamp that slips over the top of the
rod. You can always cut off the flattened part of the rod with a hacksaw,
but the sleeve does a cleaner job. You can get a ground rod sleeve and all
sorts of Cadweld supplies from the good folks at The R.F. Connection
(301/840-5477 or www.therfc.com).

For what it's worth, I've heard that the water methods result in a less
effective connection betweem the rod and the ground.

73, Dick, WC1M