[TowerTalk] Antenna surface area

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna surface area
From: tao@skypoint.com (Tod - Minnesota)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 10:33:21 -0500
Wasn't the original purpose of this discussion to allow someone to put
together a tower and antenna system that would neither blow over in the wind
nor be 'crushed' under its own over-designed weight?

If we use equations that calculate forces and torques that are high (two
times or even three times high), aren't we simply adding a safety factor to
the overall design? It is really hard to work DX when you spend all of your
free time calculating wind loading. At some point I would think we would
have a sufficiently good set of equations and models to allow quick, safe
values to be determined and then we can get on with the assembly, hoisting
and maybe even use of the antenna system.

Tod, KØTO

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----