[TowerTalk] Antenna surface area

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna surface area
From: w7ni@easystreet.com (Stan or Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:16:54 -0700
Stu Greene wrote:

> Bill, irrespective of the wind direction which can change momentarily,
> surface area is surface area, so that an accurate measurement should be the
> sum of half the boom area plus half the element area.
>
> I wonder if antenna manufacturers, when calculating wind area and
> advertising it, do it your way or mine or perhaps something a bit more
> arcane.  I'm sure that someone will straighten out the error in my logic.
>
>                                 73   Stu

I would think you would want to consider the "worst case" situation when
determining an
antenna wind area.  If the worst case is when the elements are broadside to the
wind,
then you would want to consider ALL of the element wind area.  If the worst
case is when
the boom is broadside to the wind, then you would want to consider ALL of the
boom
area.  One or the other will be the real "worst case".  If you take half of one
and add
it to half of the other, you result will be somewhat LESS than the real worst
case, it
seems to me.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----