[TowerTalk] Modeling

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Modeling
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 20:55:46 -0500
What the model DOES predict is that the dipole has a weakness at very
low arrival angles that the vertical does not. The model *AND* your
comparisons tell me that stuff is likely coming in at very low angles.
Or in some currently unexplained mode that favors vertical
polarization.

Without knowing the incoming angles (measured, not predicted) the
answer as to which would work better would have been left as
unanswered until dipole was put up there and A/B comparisons done. At
your place I could suspect the vertical would shine, at least because
I know you have a commercial broadcast grade ground system under it.
The dipole could not possibly beat it at the lower angles. Not in my
modeling programs. For W8JI I use the mininec ground, because it's not
telling a lie there.

This still seems to be applicable on 80 meters for a scaled version of
the same problem, with much anecdotal evidence to suspect so.

On 40 meters, against yagis at 130, 150', verticals have lost their
luster. 40m 4-Square remains solid alternative for those unable to put
up yagis at height.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to try a 160 dipole at *650* feet to
see if the lower lobe starts to intercept the angles you are playing
with the vertical?