Re: [TowerTalk] Nicopress swags

To: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>,"Larry Burke" <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Nicopress swags
From: "FISCHER,GREG" <ab7r@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:54:36 -0600
Tnx Bob.  I've been doing some research.  Not sure still
what or if there is a difference between the nicopress
sleeves and other brands.  I bought my cable and sleeves
from stagerigging.com.  Their tools they sell I think are
made by Loos.  A company in FL.  They say their sleeves
and tools will hold to the cable break strength.

Nicopress has a multi groove tool for 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4
(3V F6:XM) for about $429!!!!!  Ouch.

But the other manufacturers don't have one that covers
both 1/4 and 3/16.  So would have to get the single 1/4 at
$214 and a multi that I think was about $150.

BTW....The Tech at NicoPress I spoke with, also a ham,
says hand swagging is just as effective as hydraulic
provided you do the requisite number of presses for each
sleeve.  Same for the other manufacturers.  There is a
difference in the number of crimps required between
nicopress and Loos.  For 1/4 sleeves, Nicopress calls for
3 presses, Loos calls for 4.

After speaking with the techs I don't have a problem using
the hand swagers over the hydraulic...but dang they're
still so expensive!

Tnx
Greg
AB7R