Re: [TowerTalk] Nicopress swags

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Nicopress swags
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:10:42 -0500
Back in the 1980s a group of PVRCers bought a hand-operated Nicopress
tool.  As someone else described in an earlier e-mail, it was
expensive... and had arms about 3 feet long.

I built two AB-105 towers with 1/4 inch EHS guys using Nicropress
sleeves at all the insulators and terminating thimbles.  The sleeves
were easily to apply and squeeze down.  There was no question about the
quality of the compressed sleeve: no way could a wire come out of
material that had flowed so thoroughly around that wire.

The towers were up at that site for 25 years without problems.  (One ice
storm dropped a couple trees on some of the guys; the guys and the
towers were unaffected.)

I would not hesitate in using Nicropress sleeves, properly applied, on
any future project.

-- Eric K3NA