Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:42:19 -0500
Interesting stuff.  My tale involves much shorter towers.  I have a 40
beam at 95 feet on the top of one and a WARC yagi at 80 feet at the top
of the other tower.  I have a 200 acre field just beyond the tree line
to the south and a 350 acre field about a 1/4 mile to the north.  Crop
dusters are common here for pesticides/fertilizer and seed distribution.
Right after I put up the towers one of the crop dusters obviously had
not checked things out before he started on the field to the south.  I
swear he was only inches from the 40 beam as he pulled up for the trees
then dipped the nose a bit.  Scared the sh.. out of me, but since the
tower was directly below him he probably did not see it on the first
pass.  He learned quick tho.

I immediately made telephone calls to all the area airports that support
the crop dusters, and they spread the word to the private strip guys.
Word got around fast.  No problems since, but I do make the phone calls
every spring, just to be sure some new guy does not screw up.  73 bob de
w9ge