Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips
From: "john@kk9a.com" <kk9a@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 06:09:28 -0800 (PST)
Hi Bill

It will be great to have your back on the air, Your AA6TT/0 contest station did
quite well.

FCC part 97 states the following:
(a) Owners of certain antenna structures more than 60.96 meters (200 feet)
above ground level at the site or located near or at a public
use airport must notify the Federal Aviation Administration and register with
the Commission as required by part 17 of this chapter.

This does not address private airstrips.  I seem to recall a regulation
allowing a tower height slope of 50:1 when near small airports which in your
case calculates as a 366' tower.  Obviously you should research and calculate
this yourself, but it seems to me that you do not need to do anything special.

John KK9A