Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips

To: Mike Ashby <seabassm01@hotmail.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 12:45:42 -0500
That's really interesting.

Jim Lux already mentioned the pitfalls of GPS and barometric measurements of
altitude.  The technology of ILS doesn't require a functioning altimeter to
land and I don't believe IFR rules allow landing without some minimum
visibility - enough to render a functioning altimeter "optional" on approach.
The point being that no one expects a barometric altimeter to be accurate
enough to be the only reference for height above ground as you land.

Many, if not most, USGS elevation benchmarks were set using a rod and level
starting in the 19th century.  They are surprisingly accurate considering that
those in the middle of the country are more than a thousand miles from the
nearest ocean.

As an aside, I thought I had read that Google Earth had a problem with
elevations.  I don't remember the exact circumstances, but the context was some
sort of modeling as GE assumes a spherical earth. Basically, GE underestimates
altitudes and sea levels at low latitudes due to the "bulging" of the earth at
the equator.  That sound familiar to anyone?

Al
AB2ZY