Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 10:18:33 -0800
On 12/30/11 9:45 AM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
> That's really interesting.
>
> Jim Lux already mentioned the pitfalls of GPS and barometric measurements of
> altitude.  The technology of ILS doesn't require a functioning altimeter to
> land and I don't believe IFR rules allow landing without some minimum
> visibility - enough to render a functioning altimeter "optional" on approach.
>  The point being that no one expects a barometric altimeter to be accurate
> enough to be the only reference for height above ground as you land.
>
> Many, if not most, USGS elevation benchmarks were set using a rod and level
> starting in the 19th century.  They are surprisingly accurate considering
> that those in the middle of the country are more than a thousand miles from
> the nearest ocean.

USGS references to NAVD29.  A note I have says:
"Regarding the actual leveling undertaken by USC&GS/NGS, the 1929
adjustment (NGVD29) entailed about 75,000 km in the U.S. and about
32,000 km in Canada. By contrast, the 1988 readjustment (NAVD88)
involved re-running much of the first-order vertical control network --
about 81,500 km -- to First Order Class II specifications."

First Order survey is typically good to 1 ppm.. so, for 1000 miles,
that's good to 5 feet.

Imagine doing this carrying all your gear on horse/mule, etc.  Those
guys were tough.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/web/about_ngs/history/ is an interesting source.

(A great book: "The Great Arc" describes the Great Trigonometric Survey
of India.. 5 foot diameter theodolites, precision chaining, crew eaten
by tigers, etc.)