Re: [TowerTalk] 10 throu 20 beam traps or no traps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 10 throu 20 beam traps or no traps
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:41:29 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 6/20/2014 5:17 AM, Herbert Schoenbohm wrote:
Why not many serious DX-ers and contesters consider Tri-band or even Five-band quads is a mystery to me.

REPLY:

I can perhaps explain it from my own experience. A quad large enough for 20 meters is a mechanical nightmare. Unlike a yagi, a quad is a three dimensional object and that makes all the difference. I put up a four element Cubex three band quad years ago and will NEVER do it again. The quad works very well once you get it up in the air, but getting it up there is a real hassle.

It's true that a two element quad is about equal to a yagi of three elements, but adding a third element to a yagi is child's play compared to the hassles of a quad.

I am presently running a CushCraft X7 which is a very clever design, IMO. Been up for years with no troubles. It has traps, but NOT in the driven element(s), which avoids most trap problems. The driven element is actually a four element log-periodic which gives great SWR bandwidth, and the rest of the antenna is a conventional yagi. As a bonus, it works (with lower gain) on 17 and 12 meters, with a somewhat higher SWR. I do restrict the power on 17 and 12 to 100 watts just to be safe, but it works much better than a dipole for those bands, at no extra cost.

By the way, the balun on the X7 is extremely low loss. As a test, while it was on sawhorses, I ran 1500 watts steady carrier for ten minutes through it on the three bands. The heating in the balun was barely noticeable, no more than 1 or 2 watts by my estimate. Pretty impressive.

73, Bill W6WRT
dezrat@outlook.com