Re: [TowerTalk] Circuit Board Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Circuit Board Question
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 15:22:41 -0700
On 8/2/14, 1:10 PM, Steve Hunt wrote:
Rick,

I already corrected this misunderstanding once: for a 2:1 SWR the
maximum voltage will be 1.414 times the matched voltage, not double! The
minimum voltage will be 0.707 times the matched voltage.

If V is the matched line voltage, Vmax=1.414xV and Vmin=V/1.414 giving
Vmax/Vmin=2:1

Steve G3TXQ

Power dissipation, though, will be 2x (which I think was what we were talking about..

My off the cuff question was more along the lines of "are the current maxima at the same place as the voltage maxima": that is, is max dielectric dissipation going to occur at the same place as max copper loss dissipation, or are they going to be, say, 90 degrees apart.

In a matched line, voltage and current maxima occur at the same place because current and voltage are in phase.

But in a mismatched line that's not necessarily the case.

(Of course, Rick's "do you feel lucky" applies here.. I'd design for the worst case, but there might be some time where you know where the "hot spots" are going to be.)