[TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings
From: scott@nx7u.net
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 13:24:06 -0500
I've never found any clear explanation of how thrust bearings are practically implemented. If the bearing is to "hold up" the antenna (so that the rotator doesn't have to), I assume that it's the force from the four radially-oriented bolts that do so? It seems to me that over time the mast would slip. Is that really not an issue with sufficient bolt torque? It seems to me that the mast should be pinned through the bearing instead--that is, a through-bolt that goes through holes drilled in the mast.
What obvious (but not to me) thing am I missing?
Thanks,
NX7U
45 years active & never had a rotator bigger than Radio Shack :-)