Re: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings
From: Richard Smith <n6kt1@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 14:18:48 +0000 (UTC)
 Hi Grant,
I am also interested in your concept of a UV resistant UHMW radial top bearing.
I am part of a team that is building a station in the Caribbean, and am
considering trying a non-metal bearing approach. Do you have a sketch or
drawing that you might share?
73, Rich, N6KT   PJ4K
    On Sunday, May 10, 2020, 06:01:51 AM PDT, Art Greenberg <art@artg.tv>
wrote:

 > My choice is a UV resistant UHMW radial top bearings for low cost, no
> maintenance, long life, and low friction.  A 6x6x4" thick block ($47) is
> what I made for the 3" mast radial bearing with 500# loading.  In
> perfect condition after 6 years.

Grant,

I'm curious about this. Some questions:

- How did you drill the hole for the mast?

- How much oversize? I imagine its not very critical, is that true?

- Is any particular color better with respect to UV and other environmental
exposures?

Thanks, and 73.

--
Art Greenberg