Re: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 12:01:02 -0500
A bit off topic, but this lesson may prove useful to others: When I replaced my tower last year, my plan was to just lower the mast down through the Rohn (TB-2?) thrust bearing, and leave it inside the tower until the tower came down. Alas, the TH7 mast clamp is a beefy thing, and it had distorted the Rohn M200H mast enough that it would not fit through the bearing. I had to use gin pole to get it out, bearing and all. I suppose I could have just sawed off the top of the mast above the bearing. On the ground, it took a hammer to get the bearing off the mast.

I did successfully reverse the process with the new tower and mast, though hauling the mast up 70 feet inside the tower was hard work.

A set of braces and U-bolts is used to secure the bottom of the mast when the rotator is removed.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA