Re: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noob question re: Thrust Bearings
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 14:34:35 -0500
There's some controversy about whether the thrust bearing should support the vertical load. It's primary purpose is usually to take the radial load. If the mast is free to move vertically, of course, the rotator bearings take all the vertical load. If the mast is fixed vertically at both the thrust bearing and the rotator, there is a risk that, because it is overconstrained, large stresses and/or binding could result. Everything has to be aligned almost perfectly to prevent this. Assuming the rotator can handle the vertical load, I think it's better to allow the mast to move vertically in the thrust bearing by tightening the bolts (with locknuts) just enough to prevent radial motion.

If the rotator CAN'T handle the vertical load, then great care must be taken that the thrust bearing entirely supports the mast. That means allowing some vertical play at the rotator.

73,
Scott K9MA