Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower 72 ft crank up grinds to a standstill

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower 72 ft crank up grinds to a standstill
From: Mac <libbysales@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 00:17:54 -0500
I'm with WV4P Ron here on the Start/run cap, bought tower new now 2 years ago, but only this month got it ready to install and raise,  did pretty much your same fire drill only i bought the 589, but my point and experience, all this time it was laying over, and while we sorta live in a not so much rain area but we get a share.

So now when i got the tower up vertical, the tower raising/lowering motor sounded like a trash truck i pulled the cap or dome cover off, it was covered with rust and water, ouch, it was toast as well centrifugal cutout switch inside the motor to disconnect the start cap, and the motor while looking good was totally crap and rust, i could have rebuilt the motor for my guess 40 or so dollars but i lost interest in the mess of it.. I will add a new motor for the specs was like 450.00 but i just found a new 3 phase motor for 90 or so and used it..  i had to adapt the up/down limit ckt to still function but no other effort was reqd.

bought a new motor and called it good, ah but not done.  When i released the belt tension between the original motor and gear box pulley, out came a steady drip of gear box oil,  it has to be the stinker stuff ever invented and oh what a mess. The Gear Box is a Hub City brand, 60/1 ratio .. Motion Industries vows from Hub City they dont offer an oil seal to purchase, but would cheerfully sell me a new gear box for i forget 500-600 dollars. And ur correct, the filler port is so awkward, so i plumbed around it and made it more human like to fill and drain if it ever comes up again, and hoping it does not.

Long story to close this out my local bearing supply guy got the Gear box oil seal for 8.00 all i had to do was service the gear oil and the smell again, i left those clothes on the porch and tossed emm, aint no way im gonna take the ration of crap from the family for being the guy to forever stink up the washing machine to save a shirt and pants, i have a washer dryer in my shop, but even the dog wont like that smell for her bedding and blankets i usually was out in the barn machines.