Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower 72 ft crank up grinds to a standstill

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower 72 ft crank up grinds to a standstill
From: "Barry Merrill" <w5gn@mxg.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 11:07:57 -0500
"From what I understand, UST rates the 72 foot crank up towers at
 200 lbs antenna(s), rotor and mast, bearing etc weight with
 22 lbs of cable weight, 222 lbs max vertical dead weight."

My UST 72 was installed in 2003 with a 9x9x9 concrete base,
The tower has

 OB16-3  Triband  132
 CAL-AV  40       163
 Cable/Rotator     50
                  345 pounds

I did have the tower fully extended a number times early on,
lowering it for most storms, but several times I misjudged
the storm's arrival and it took a beating, and then a final
time when I was unable to lower the tower as it moved in
the wind convinced me to give up the extended height,
and since then it's been about 10 feet extended, enough for
the Cal-AV to be at 30 feet, (which is still an amazing
performer, beating locals with stacked 2 el HyGains)
and the OB=16-3 at 50 feet and the tower positioned so
the rotator can be removed.

But those several instances of extended with wind
have left their mark.  We had added a pretty stone patio
across the top of the base and around the base area
and now all four sides have broken and appear to
have moved about 2 inches vertical on each side!

I surely can't complain to UST with my overload!!

73

Barry, W5GN