[TRLog] LONG -- Reflections on first real use of TR LOG, and a few gripe

Subject: [TRLog] LONG -- Reflections on first real use of TR LOG, and a few gripes
From: W1HIJCW@aol.com (W1HIJCW@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:13:54 EDT
Ed,

Interesting comments ---

My experience is thus --- when I got back into contesting 4 years ago after a
hiatus of 25 years, I first discovered TRLog in its then (in relative terms)
infant stage. I had never learned CT nor NA, nor any of the other more
specialized programs. For a couple of years, I used TR exclusively and while
I sometimes experienced frustration at my inability to find the exact fit of
documentation and parameter, I returned time and again to the familiarity of
TR.

Since that time I have used CT and WriteLog quite a few times at MM stations
or MS stations where I have been one of the operators. Every time I do that
(and this weekend from N6ME was one of those times), I come away shaking my
head at the (in this case) unnecessary keystrokes and apparent instability of
CT. Similarly with WriteLog, I find frustration with the need to find that
damned mouse amidst all the "important" things on the operating table like
paddles and keyboards.

My point though is not that CT or Writelog are somehow deficient pieces of
programming. Rather it is that one's first few experiences with contesting
software set a mold for your mind and anything which forces you out of that
mold takes additional effort to learn. You get annoyed at the need to
remember whether you are in S&P or Run mode in TR. That bothers me not a
whit. I, on the other hand, can't imagine why when I type a callsign in the
call field in CT and hit F6 (a single keystroke), the program doesn't send
the call AND the exchange -- why do I have to hit F2? what else would I want
the computer to do besides send the complete exchange? And yet, my buddies,
with whom I shared an operating tent this weekend, don't have a problem at
all.

So, I would suggest that if you're interested in taking advantage of some of
the things that TR alone does well, you have to face the fact that you "cut
your contesting teeth" on something else and yes, the learning curve will be
steep because part of it is unlearning stuff.

As one of my co-operators said this weekend about software, power outages, RF
unexpectedly in radios, network glitches, interference from other stations,
and so on and so forth --- "hey, it's Field Day, deal with it". And we did,
to the tune of better than 6000 Q's.

My bottom line after learning TR and using CT and WriteLog is that TR is the
best of the lot from the perspective of features (only about 25% of which I
use) and stability. But that's my choice, whether it should be yours is up to
you.

73,
Bill, W1HIJ
(40 & 15 CW at N6ME)