[TRLog] CODE SPEED CHANGES

Subject: [TRLog] CODE SPEED CHANGES
From: swca@swbell.net (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 15:22:19 -0600
>A change of one WPM is like a tenth of a db.

>I like to set my speed to 28 to start and tend to return to that from faster
>or slower speeds. But getting set on 28 wpm to start is just one ALT-S at
>the beginning. It's not like TR only sends 25,28,31,34, etc and the other
>values can't be had.

This is one of those days when I wonder if we are speaking the same language.
My questions are:

Tree: Is it easy or hard to make this change?

Everyone else: Is this of any value to you?

The question is not "is it your personal opinion that this is not a good idea?"

Clearly it is not of any value to the three persons who have replied, but my
question was not "what techniques do other people use when changing code speed
during contests?"  Obviously Tree is lurking, waiting to see what other people
think about its value before commenting.

>I would sure rather hit pgdn
>four times instead twelve.

And if you changed the default value of this from 3 to 12 you could save another
3 keystrokes.  It doesn't happen to be a variable at the moment.  This is my
point.  I am guessing there are other ops who, if they could pick it, would use
the "CT standard" of 2WPM and others who think 3 WPM is just not quite enough,
and would set it to 4WPM.  I didn't mean to start a conversation about why
people operate the way they do.

>If I'm at 35, I'll hit ALT-S 16
><enter>. It's faster. I can then hit ALT-S 35, and hit <enter> just as it
>program sends "TU", so the call is back at normal speed.

Presently I employ this technique sometimes.  Sometimes I feel like more
resolution in step size would be nice.

>Also, if I asked you to QRS and you drop 1 WPM, I probably will think you
>ignored me.

I agree 100%.  I would never do this and it has nothing to do with my questions.

>In your post you indicated that your preference didn't have anything to do
>with operating techniques.

I never said this.  I said that my intent was not to have a conversation about
technique.  That's all.  This thread is becoming very complicated.

Mark, N5OT