[WriteLog] Curious?? (long)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Curious?? (long)
From: gbaron@charter.net (GilBaronW0MN)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 06:01:35 -0600

Both true, let me add my vote. I used to use TRLOG but they never came
through on the promise to make a windows version. Now I am glad that they
did not. WriteLog is great with windows and even though it has some issues,
there is no other. The biggest problem is not the program when it supports a
contest. The biggest issue is that there are many contests (mostly small and
not that well attended) that are not supported. TRLOG is easier to set up
for them or configs already exist. OTOH it is often worth it to use WriteLog
anyway, choosing the closest supported contest and perhaps you get the
logging and mult and dup checking done and only need to score manually.
Remember, you do not have to score for most, if you can produce a cabrillo
or adif that is often enough.

> at this time, IMHO.  WriteLog can do anything you could imagine at this
> time, and many more things that you can't imagine at this time, based on
> your post.  Due to its power, there is a learning curve -
> However, that's no
> reason not to jump in as a relative beginner!
>
> As I've found with most ham reflectors, the chatter concentrates on
> "problems" as perceived by the readership - Many, many times
> these problems
> end up being op error and/or related to equipment and configurations etc.
> Newcomers can sometimes get the opinion that the focus of the
> discussion is
> trash, be it software or a particular rig!  We even have a certain
> reflectorite right now that is almost incapable of saying
> anything positive
> about much of anything or anyone, and many have blocked him from
> their email
> program!  He attacks the authors and program with insulting remarks, but
> notice that he continues to use the program "because he doesn't have the
> time to write anything better".  (Oops, sorry...)  Don't let these posts
> fool you - WriteLog is excellent!!  Remember the majority are [relatively]
> silent.
>
> You mentioned several other programs, including MMTTY, Digipan,
> and DX4WIN.
> Even if you do not set out initially to do so, you will very soon want to
> interface your rig if the 930 will allow it - That will be true no matter
> which contesting program you choose.  Certain aspects of rig control
> (reading/controlling frequency) and rig interfacing (PTT, CW, FSK, AFSK
> including PSK) will be common to the programs you mentioned -
> They all allow
> some of these functions.
>
> Several programs have some "overlap" - If you are primarily a DXer or
> ragchewer, DX4WIN is a premo logging program firstly.  If you only make an
> occasional few contest QSOs, it has some functions that help you
> with that.
> It allows rig control/interfacing and has some soundcard
> functions to allow
> transmitting limited modes for the casual digital mode op that
> wants to ONLY
> use his logging program.  However, if you end up focusing on
> contesting, you
> want a program that is firstly a contesting program (WriteLog), although
> some also use WriteLog as their general logger.  Many of us like
> to do both,
> and we use both DX4WIN and WriteLog - It's simple to export logs from
> WriteLog to ADIF format and into DX4WIN after a contest!

I have to disagree here. I think Logic is by far the better general logging
program except that it has a very high learning cure if you want to
customize it. The nice thing is that you can customize it doing almost
anything allowed by the FoxPro language. It also has good integration with
DXTELNET.

> WriteLog will certainly do about anything - SSB contests with voice keyer
> functions, CW, RTTY (FSK and AFSK), PSK31, and also function in an SO2+R
> configuration (2 or more radios!).  This makes it great to "grow into" -
> I've used it almost exclusively for RTTY contests until recently when I
> started using it for CW too.
>
> Here's some direct responses to your post:
>
> > Will Writelog work all modes via soundcard or does it just support
> > other softwares that do that?
>
> Yes, all modes via soundcard.  And note that's -1- soundcard (almost any
> Windows soundcard) that can be used with 2 radios, 1 on each channel!  The
> reason that you're getting confused about MMTTY etc is that Wayne has
> graciously allowed WriteLog to work with other "modems" - Besides
> using the
> WinRtty/Rttyrite soundcard system in WriteLog, it also allows you to use
> existing modems you might have like PK-232, KAM, DXP38 and
> others.  It also
> lets you use one of 2 other software/soundcard programs - RITTY/K6STI or
> MMTTY.  We all have certain preferences and biases regarding
> which of these
> combinations works best for us under certain conditons.  Many of us have
> found MMTTY to be desirable in some situations - Since it's so
> good and the
> most recently accomodated by WriteLog, there has been a lot of discussion
> about it on the reflector.  Thus, although WL will allow you to use
> MMTTY/soundcard as your RTTY modem, it's not necessary to do so - The
> built-in WinRtty/soundcard modem is excellent - just ask Don
> (AA5AU) who has
> won more contests than I have hair on my head using the WinRTTY
> modem of WL!
>
> > Does it run clean CW without the use of an interface and will it allow
> > me to use my key?
>
> Yes - I was pleased recently when I first started using WL for CW - It was
> perfect.  After making the cables I already had for interfacing RTTY and a
> couple of years of experience under my belt with the program, it
> was trivial
> to hook up for CW!  Simply getting in a CW contest with WL allowed me the
> pleasure of some DX last weekend that I thought I'd never hear, e.g.
> Vietnam.  I've been missing a lot by mostly staying out of CW contests!

CW works very well. IT is BY FAR THE BEST windows CW keyer. Most others have
real problems producing good CW under windows and especially windows 2000
and xp and nt..

> > From what I'm reading here,  Writelog seems plagued with software
> > conflicts.  Is that the case or is there just a large learning curve
> > associated with its use?  Is this a beginners software or a beginners
> > nightmare?

The only conflict I can think of is the lack of support for LPT. A port
driver for LPT would be a great addition. This is an issue only with NT,
2000 and XP versions.
There is a third party driver available but at 29 dollars that is a LOT to
ask one to pay on top of the cost of WriteLog itself.