[WriteLog] Curious?? (long)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Curious?? (long)
From: n7rx@arrl.net (N7RX)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:27:24 -0800
TR doesn't decode CW, but its duping, logging and bandmapping
capabilities can result in extremely efficient logging for high-Q volume
contest ops, none of whom need the decoding feature, and the duping is
especially cool. WL duping system is comparatively basic.

Regarding decode, I've found that WL's decoding feature can turn
operating a CW contesting into an exercise essentially the same as
operating a RTTY or other digital mode contest; the decoding is so good
that with good filtering it very nearly eliminates the need for the op
to be able to copy CW with his noodle, just as nobody (I think!) copies
RTTY, AMTOR, or PSK in their head. This concept is anathema to most
high-grade CW ops, though, who can more quickly do the direct conversion
without having to read any text.  I had it turned on for SS, but I found
that my interest in studying that screen declined as my rate went up.
Having a keyer emulation built-in to TR is, nice too.

Since I'm not a high-volume op (usually) and the inability of TR to
operate in a Windows environment frequently renders key features useless
whenever I need more than two ports, I often use WL. I've never been
able to get TR to run right on any of my machines; there is always
something that isn't working for me - rig control, packet spotting,
networking or something. These are all operating system related
problems, however, and I understand the Tree is working on a Windows
version. It could be a killer contest ap and I'm sure a lot of people
are looking forward to its release.

73 Neal N7RX