[WriteLog] Erratic Cw

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Erratic Cw
From: k4ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 12:43:34 -0400
> Here are my observations about the erratic CW problems on my end.
> They occur randomly and infrequently. They are always associated
> with hard-disk activity in my laptop, but not the writelog "save"
> function.

This observation may point another "bad actor" in the erratic CW
problem.  Some (many) hardware configurations suspend interrupt
activity during some disk activity.  I can't point to a specific
hardware/software configuration but I do know interrupt suspension
is often associated with certain disk caching software (and use of
the Windows SWAP file).

One of the very best things that one can do to help the erratic
CW problem is to have enough RAM in the computer than the SWAP file
is not used (or used very infrequently).  The "sweat spot" for
memory is generally 128 MB with Windows 98, 256 MB with Windows
2000/NT/ME and 512 MB with Windows XP.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK