[WriteLog] Ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Ports
From: gbaron@charter.net (GILBERT BARON)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:26:51 -0500
On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:39:56 -0600
  Marty Tippin <martyt@pobox.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>working computer.
>
>Well, the reality is that you just add a hard disk and
>display card and about 2 quarts of good karma and you
>*might* get a working computer...
>
>To anyone considering building your own PC, please assess
>whether you have the knowledge and skill to troubleshoot
>the inevitable problems and incompatibilities. If you're
>the type who has trouble just getting around in Windows
>or doing relatively simple upgrades like adding a modem,
>you really might not want to build your own computer.
>
>I'm a professional Windows programmer, have been for the
>better part of 15 years, and I can tell you that even I
>have had significant problems assembling a random
>collection of components into a working computer. It's
>not always easy and the problems aren't always obvious -
>sometimes it's as simple as changing some BIOS settings,
>sometimes it requires you to use a different combination
>of hardware or different drivers or even a different
>operating system. If you don't know what you're doing,
>you can work your way into a *lot* of frustration.
>
>My advice for those who need more computer but need it
>primarily for use in the shack (i.e., to run WriteLog and
>other logging programs as well as other ham radio
>software) would be to buy a decent used Compaq or Dell
>computer from www.retrobox.com or www.secondwindpcs.com -
>these companies specialize in taking 'surplus' hardware
>from companies that have upgraded to biggerbetterfaster
>boxes and making them available to consumers. Fully
>tested and warranted for usually 30 days or so.
>
>I recently purchased 3 identical Pentium 3 450MHz Compaq
>DeskPro EN machines from SecondWind PCs for about $140
>each plus shipping -- these boxes are destined for the
>PJ2T super-station on Curacao, where we run WriteLog in a
>multi-multi setup. Add a monitor and an operating system
>and you're in business. I think they'll even install the
>OS for you if you need it (at an extra cost of course).
>
>A pentium 3 at about 450MHz or faster is way more than
>adequate for a shack computer. So there's no need to buy
>a new top of the line box if all you're going to do is
>play radio with it. A 733MHz Compaq DeskPro can be had
>for under $200 and even that is overkill for the shack.
>Plus these computers still come with 2 serial ports built
>in, as well as 2 USB ports and all the other stuff you
>could possibly need.
>
>As for ports, I'm a big fan of the SIIG CyberSerial PCI
>cards. They come in 1, 2 and 4 port varieties. You just
>plug the card in, install the drivers and away you go.
>And the SIIG cards can be bought *real* cheap these days
>-- I bought 5 of the CyberSerial dual-port cards on eBay
>last week for $15 each; current retail at BestBuy and
>elsewhere is around $45 each.
>
>And for operating systems, there's absolutely nothing to
>be gained in a shack PC by going to Windows XP -- in
>fact, Windows 98 is perfectly adequate and easy to

This is the one spot I totally disgree with you. There IS
a GOOD reason to go to either WIN2000 or WINXP, and it is
called resources. If you want to run somethign like DXLABS
suite (FREE) for the best DX setup around or if you want
to run a number of programs at once then you WILL have
problems with WIN98 running out of resources. Don't do it,
use WIN2000 or better yet WINXP (which will cost a bit
more if you hvae multiple machines less with one USE XP
HOME) but do not use WIN98, you WILL be sorry. I use XP
and before that WIN2000 and my system is up 24/7 and never
needs a reboot except when an install requires it. I
GUARANTEE you won't be so lucky with ANY WIN9/X unless you
run only 1 prgram at a time.
NOT what you will want to do, even if you start that way.

If you are going to run only Writelog then 9X is OK, I
guess?

If you don't believe me read through the archives on
DXLABS group on YAHOO GROUPS.