[WriteLog] Ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Ports
From: rich@w3zj.com (Richard B. Drake)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:20:56 -0500
That's a bit exaggerated Ed. The only difference between
Dell's and/or Gateway's (and others) version of Win XP is
that they have added some stuff. For example when you access
the Windows help files from a factory installed Dell you
will find some stuff that takes you directly to Dell's
support site. That's actually quite helpful because it save
you from having to hunt for it. But the basic operating
system is Microsoft's Windows XP right out of the box. I
have Win XP on three machines, two I bought retail and
installed myself and one is factory installed by Dell. They
all operate exactly the same.

As far as modems and peripherals go on purchased machines
most of them are off the shelf OEM versions of standard
stuff and you can buy replacements almost anywhere. You may
have run into one specific problem, but tell me you never
had any trouble playing your own mix and match game without
a lot of experience or a team of engineers to test the
entire integrated system once it's put together. I'll take a
Dell thanks!

----
73, Rich - W3ZJ