[WriteLog] Ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Ports
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 23:38:34 -0500
At 07:20 PM 12/24/2002 +0000, K4SB wrote:

>What I would caution about is that Dell, among others, do not use the
>exact version of Windows which you would obtain if you bought your own
>copy. In other words, it's proprietary to Dell, just as the Gateway
>one is to them. The Dell OS is not the same as the Gateway OS,
>although both may be called XP.

While that may very well be true, the OEM copy of of Windows XP I bought
from some anonymous system manufacturer (found via pricewatch.com) works
just fine on my Dell Dimension 8100.  I did have to download some Motorola
(I think) driver for my Dell-installed modem, but I don't remember doing
anything else special, and all the hardware "just works".

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC