[WriteLog] Ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Ports
From: hamcat@directvinternet.com (K4SB)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 19:48:44 +0000
GILBERT BARON wrote:
> This is the one spot I totally disgree with you. There IS
> a GOOD reason to go to either WIN2000 or WINXP, and it is
> called resources.
> If you are going to run only Writelog then 9X is OK, I
> guess?
---------------------
Sorry, but you're dead wrong. Resources are to a great deal, a
function of memory.

IF you know HOW to run 98, you will never have a problem. One of the
better solutions is to manage your own Virtual memory. Then shut down
all unnecessary programs with a
Control-Alt-Delete. If you're running WL in the CQ 160 for example, I
hardly think you need to worry about virus protection, and do you need
a modem? Why would you still need your media player for cw? And, take
a look at all the junk 98 installs. Chat, Plus, Outlook Express, and
probably another 5 or 6 sections of 98 have been permanently removed.
And the registry cleaned of all the garbage.

My main shack computer is an Intel 750 with 256K of memory. A Matrox
dual output video card and I assure you I can run as many as 7
different programs on it simultaneously, and never have to worry about
resources. Just never tried more than that.

Right now, I have 5 different programs running, Norton doing its'
thing, Norton firewall doing its' thing, and NOTHING disabled.

XP is a fine program, and 98SE will do all you want.

73
Ed