Re: [WriteLog] What should change in WriteLog w.r.t. this review?

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] What should change in WriteLog w.r.t. this review?
From: Rick Tavan <tavan@tibco.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 23:16:04 -0800
My opinions:

1. Modes in most software are bad. Run/S&P modes in TR are excellent. More operators will convert sooner from TR to WL and be happier in the long run if you offer TR-compatible mode support. Actually, this is mainly Enter key behaviour. High priority.

2. The bandmap would be more useful if it could be zoomed, if it didn't populate with partial calls and other improvements. The 10.45 improvements such as Next Entry keys were excellent. More to do. Medium priority.

3. I like the docked windows a lot. I am very frustrated with several of my logs that have somehow inherited an undocked QSO entry window that behaves very strangely. I have asked but have been unable to find a way to re-dock it. Low priority.

4. It would be helpful if you could release "minor" field fixes in real time, especially to major problems. "Minor" would have to be defined by your confidence in the integrity of the fix. OK to label them Experimental if they have not been vetted by your testers. Yes, I think it would be nice to make beta versions of major releases more widely available if you have the bandwidth to handle the comment volume. This should be your call, not ours!

5. Every distribution should be complete, with no difference between FULL and UPGRADE distributions. There should be questions at installation time like "Do you want to install Version xxx Dated yyy of <filename> that came with this release or retain Version xxx Dated yyy that is currently active on this machine?"

10.45 is a terrific new release! Thanks for it and thanks for continuing to ask for this kind of feedback.

If I had three wishes for the next release they would be for better documentation/Help, better SO2R support (although I can't articulate that very well yet) and the ability to turn one rotor to the azimuth of the callsign in either radio's QSO entry window. TR-like Enter-key behaviour (modeful) would be next. ;-)

73,

/Rick N6XI

W. Wright, W5XD wrote:

I am interested in what current WriteLog users think might be changed in
WriteLog with respect to the comparison in this review: